3D Cell Culture Industry Overview
The global 3D cell culture market size was valued at USD 1.5 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 10.7% during the forecast period.
As 3D cultures can closely mimic a typical morphology and microarchitecture of organs, they are widely used in studies that require in vivo model systems to analyze the effects of a foreign drug over body tissues and organs. Moreover, biomimetic tissue constructs used to generate 3D organotypic structures drove a large number of research entities to adopt 3-dimensional cell culture techniques. In addition, the usage of 3D tissue-engineered models for Covid-19, cancer, and other clinical disorders has emerged as an alternative approach to traditional techniques. This also shows great potential in providing a relatively simple and inexpensive in vitro tumor-host environment compared to 2D techniques.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global 3D Cell Culture Market
The high utility of 3-dimensional models for research about Covid-19 and respiratory diseases is expected to offer significant growth opportunities to the market. Airway and air-liquid interface organoids have been used as tools for the development and discovery of antiviral drugs, and as experimental virology platforms to study the immune responses and infectivity of SARS-CoV-2. Scaffold-based and scaffold-free techniques facilitate the bio-fabrication of realistic models that can be used for the development of novel therapeutics and vaccines against Covid-19.
Several other major factors driving the market growth include the launch of new products and wide applications of 3D protocols in biological research. For instance, in December 2020, eNUVIO Inc., a Canada-based biotechnology company, launched EB-Plate, a completely reusable microplate for 3D cell culture. This is expected to reduce the wastage of single-use plastics, increase the utility of 3-dimensional microplates, and propel zero-waste movement in laboratories.
Similarly, standard 2D analysis methods can easily be applied to RAFT 3D cultures manufactured by Lonza. Since these novel technologies do not require many changes to the existing 2D culture methods, they are adopted by many laboratories across the globe. In addition, Lonza has also developed 3D cell culture models to enhance research in areas of hepatic signaling pathways and drug-induced liver injury to improve in vitro hepatotoxicity testing.
Browse through Grand View Research's Biotechnology Industry Research Reports.
- Regenerative Medicine Market - The global regenerative medicine market size was valued at USD 27.29 billion in 2020 and is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11.27% from 2021 to 2027. The emergence of gene therapy coupled with the developments in stem cell and tissue engineering are expected to fuel the market growth.
- Biotechnology Market - The global biotechnology market size was valued at USD 752.88 billion in 2020 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 15.83% from 2021 to 2028.
3D Cell Culture Market Segmentation
Grand View Research has segmented the global 3D cell culture market on the basis of technology, application, end use, and region:
3D Cell Culture Technology Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 - 2028)
- Polymeric Scaffolds
- Micro-patterned Surface Microplates
- Nanofiber-based Scaffolds
- Hanging Drop Microplates
- Microfluidic 3D Cell Culture
- Spheroid Microplates with ULA coating
- Magnetic Levitation & 3D Bioprinting
3D Cell Culture Application Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 - 2028)
- Tissue Engineering & Immunohistochemistry
- Drug Development
- Stem Cell Research
3D Cell Culture End-use Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 - 2028)
- Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Industries
- Research Laboratories and Institutes
- Hospitals and Diagnostic Centers
3D Cell Culture Regional Outlook (Revenue, USD Million, 2016 - 2028)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
Market Share Insights
- January 2021: Adocia, a Paris-based biopharmaceutical company, developed a hydrogel scaffold that can be used for cell therapy of Type 1 diabetes.
- June 2020: Corning, Inc. introduced the Corning X-SERIES cell processing platform for cell and gene therapy applications. This platform delivers sterile, fast, efficient, and automated processing.
Key Companies profiled:
Some prominent players in the global 3D cell culture market include
- Merck KGaA
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- PromoCell GmbH
- Greiner Bio One International GmbH
- Corning, Inc.
- 3D Biomatrix
- Avantor Performance Materials, LLC
- Tecan Trading AG
- 3D Biotek LLC
- Global Cell Solutions, Inc.
Order a free sample PDF of the 3D Cell Culture Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research, U.S.-based market research and consulting company, provides syndicated as well as customized research reports and consulting services. Registered in California and headquartered in San Francisco, the company comprises over 425 analysts and consultants, adding more than 1200 market research reports to its vast database each year. These reports offer in-depth analysis on 46 industries across 25 major countries worldwide. With the help of an interactive market intelligence platform, Grand View Research Helps Fortune 500 companies and renowned academic institutes understand the global and regional business environment and gauge the opportunities that lie ahead.
Corporate Sales Specialist, USA
Grand View Research, Inc.
Toll Free: 1-888-202-9519